A baby has narrowly avoided death after her mother gave her too much Bonjela. She thought it was a good method to soothe her baby’s teething pains.

Jessica Vermunt was putting the recommended doctor’s dosage of Bonjela gel on her seven-month-old daughter Athena’s mouth before she was rushed to Auckland’s Starship Hospital.

Baby almost dies after mum gave her too much Bonjela

The Baby was in pain for more than one day, which is why the mother kept using the gel. However, Athena stopped breathing and responding to anything. She was then rushed to hospital where she was sedated and put onto a breathing machine while the doctors did blood infusions and transfusions.

‘They diagnosed her with salicylate overdose. Salicylate is the active ingredient in Bonjela,’ Ms Vermunt said. She admits to using to using the gel ‘more than normal’ but said the point was to warn other parent’s to be careful of what the gel could do.

‘I’m aware that she had more than normal but the point remains that this has the potential to kill your child and there is no real information or warnings about the severity of it,’ Ms Vermunt continued. ‘The doctor was aware of the amount of Bonjela she was having and didn’t think it was of concern at all. That is because even the doctors hadn’t been informed how dangerous this product is.’

The medicine’s supplier, Reckitt Benckiser, said it was trying to contact Ms Vermunt to investigate the case.

‘I’m begging you, if you do use Bonjela for your baby please please please the smallest amount as little as possible,’ Ms Vermunt said.