Being stuck inside (safe rather than stuck), we are finding ourselves eating quite a lot especially when it comes to baked goods. Everything is so rich in calories that we know we will be gaining some weight.
So sometimes we crave a good hearty meal, like the beef and barley soup. Below is the recipe for this soup (makes 12 servings), full of nutrients and that will surely warm your hearts… and bellies of course!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 cups beef stock
- 3/4 cup barley
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 2 cups diced cooked beef
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cabbage salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO PREPARE
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine the oil, onions, celery and carrots.
Saute for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the beef stock, barley, bay leaf and thyme and simmer until barley is softened but not mushy.
- Add the wine, potatoes and beef.
- Add the browning and seasoning sauce now if you want your soup to have more of a brown colour.
- Simmer another 15 minutes and add the cabbage. Allow to simmer another 15 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender.
- Salt and pepper to taste.