This dish was never one of our favourite when growing up, but gradually we have acquired the taste and the dish has become a staple one in our household. It’s a dish which many call in different ways – kusksu, kuksu, kisksu…
Whatever your version, a dish like this is something you would want on a gloomy day like today, all grayish outside without a glimpse of sun! So here it goes in both English and Maltese…
- onion (basla)
- salt and pepper (melħ u bżar)
- water (ilma)
- carrots (karrotti)
- potatoes (patata)
- broad beans (ful)
- tomato pure (kunserva)
- eggs (bajd)
- kusksu pasta beads (għaġin boċċi tal-kusksu)
- cheeselets (ġbejniet)
- chicken stock cube (dada tal-istokk tat-tiġieġa)
- Fry the onion with some salt and pepper. Qalli l-basla bi ftit bżar u melħ.
- Add in the water and leave to boil. Żid l-ilma u ħallih jagħli.
- Add carrots, potatoes, broad beans, and chicken cube. Żid il-karrotti, il-patata, il-ful u d-dada tat-tiġieġa.
- When the vegetables are ready, add the kusksu pasta and the cheeselets. Meta l-ħaxix ikun sar, żid l-għaġin boċċi tal-kusksu u l-ġbejniet.
- When the pasta is done, add in raw eggs and serve when cooked. Meta l-għaġin ikun sar, żid il-bajd nej u meta jsir tista’ sservi.