A typical dessert of the Italian tradition for the Carnival. Fried or baked, they are really irresistible. Crumbly and tasty, thanks to the addition of icing sugar!
To prepare friable chiacchiere, the secret is to add 30 ml of sweet sparkling wine or rum to the mixture. Let’s see the recipe step by step:
- 300 gr of flour
- 60 gr of sugar
- 50 g of butter
- 2 eggs
- 30 ml of sweet sparkling wine
- 1 teaspoon of orange peel
- 1 teaspoon of lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Powdered sugar (enough)
- Sunflower oil for frying (alternatively you can cook the Chiacchiere in the oven)
- Grate the zest of the orange and lemon.
- Pour into a bowl the flour, baking powder, sugar and the grated rind of the citrus fruit.
- Add a pinch of salt and arrange everything in a fountain. Then add the eggs, butter into soft pieces and sparkling wine (or rum).
- Mix well all the ingredients until a smooth and homogeneous dough is obtained and then put everything in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
- After this time, roll out the dough with a rolling pin until it is thin enough and, with the cutter, make strips of about 3-10 cm. Always using the pasta cutter, also make a cut in the center of each chat.
- Fill a pan with sunflower oil, heat the oil and then fry the homemade Chiacchiere until they start to swell and become a nice amber color.
- If you are baking them, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, lay the chatter by distancing one from the other and bake at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes.