Sweet, chestnut jam is a delicious cream, perfect for breakfast with rusks or pancarrè homemade and for lunch and dinner with cheeses. Without forgetting that it is also ideal for filling cakes and pies.
Prepare homemade jam chestnuts takes a little ‘more time than other preparations, but the result fully repay the effort: a delicious cream and vanilla fragrance to serve also as a pudding. Just pour it in many glasses and decorate it with cream, a few sprigs of mint and a pinch of cinnamon or cocoa or, alternatively, the chopped hazelnuts.
Let’s see together, step by step, how to proceed for the preparation of chestnut jam:
- Doses: for 10 jars of 250 gr
- Preparation time: 3 hours
- 1 kg of chestnuts
- 500 grams of sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 glass of water
HOW TO PREPARE
- Wash and dry the chestnuts , cut them with a thin-bladed knife in the sense of width and pour them into a pot previously filled with water. Bring to a boil and then cook the chestnuts for about half an hour.
- Drain and cool the chestnuts , remove the peel and then mash them with the tines of a fork.
- Pour sugar , water and chestnuts in a high-sided pan, cook stirring with a wooden spoon until you obtain a homogeneous mixture.
- Pour the jam into the sterilised jars and store them in a cool, dry place.
- According to your taste , also add a cup of coffee and 50 g of bitter cocoa to get a more tasty jam or a small glass of cointreau type liqueur and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon .