Having friends over or you have been invited for a BBQ and you are not sure whether they can have certain desserts due to their intolerances? Well, fret not… we have the right dessert for you!
This salty, nutty, rich and sweet combination is not only mouth-watering and delicious; but it is also vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free!!!
For the base and topping
- 300g rolled oats
- 2 large bananas
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
For the filling
- 200g dates, soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes
- 1 banana
- 3 tablespoons smooth or crunchy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons cacao or cocoa powder
- For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons smooth or crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1-2 tablespoons water
HOW TO PREPARE
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease and line a 20cm loose bottomed round tin.
- Place 200g of the oats into a blender or food processor and blend to form a flour. Add in the bananas, cinnamon, baking powder and maple syrup and whizz up until smooth.
- Add in the remaining oats and pulse again – you should have a rough dough mixture. Spread ¾ of this across the bottom of the tin evenly.
- Next drain the dates and add to the blender or food processor along with the banana, peanut butter, vanilla and cocoa or cacao and blend well until smooth and a little thick.
- Spread this in a generous layer over the base, all across to cover. Next spoon over the remaining base mixture over the top and gently spread to cover. Bake for 25 minutes until golden and firmed up.
- Leave to cool then pop out of the tin and cut into 6-8 slices. Make the sauce by whisking together the nut butter, maple syrup and just enough water to make it slightly runny. Drizzle over – now enjoy!