This Creamy Lentil Tomato Soup is a wonderfully creamy, flavourful and nourishing vegan soup made with red lentils, tomatoes, coconut milk, ginger, turmeric, and other Indian spices.
Lentils have a slightly nutty, earthy flavour and are rich in protein as well as soluble and insoluble fibre. They are a great source of essential minerals including magnesium, folate and iron. Studies suggest that lentil consumption can help to stabilize blood sugar, reduce cholesterol levels, and improve digestive and possibly even cardiovascular health.
Try making this lentil tomato soup to get all of these amazing benefits and more!
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can organic full-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups dried red lentils
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger, optional and adjusted to taste
- juice from one lemon
HOW TO PREPARE
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and swirl to coat.
- Add onion and sauté until soft and starting to brown, about 6-7 minutes. Add garlic, turmeric, cumin, salt, coriander, cayenne, and black pepper, and cook 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in water, tomatoes, coconut milk, and lentils. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat, cover, and allow to simmer until lentils have softened, approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
- Pour into blender container (in batches) and blend until smooth. Add additional water, broth, or coconut milk as needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Return to pot and heat further as needed. Stir in ginger and lemon juice and season to taste.
- Serve with toppings as desired. Enjoy!