Christmas time screams gingerbread men, gingerbread houses and gingerbread cookies! A great activity to share as a family, and kids simply love helping with this one!
- 350 g plain flour 00,
- 100 g unsalted butter,
- 200 g soft brown sugar,
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda,
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger,
- 1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon,
- 1 beaten egg,
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup, or honey,
- 1 large beaten egg,
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar,
- Egg white as needed
HOW TO PREPARE
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, and ginger all together in a bowl. Add the butter, and work into fine breadcrumbs.
- Add brown sugar and mix well.
- Beat the egg separately with the golden syrup in a bowl. Add to the flour mix and knead until it is a smooth dough.
- Cover in cling film and store in the fridge for an hour.
- Roll out the pastry, using some flour, and cut into shapes at 1cm thick.
- Place on a parchment lined dish, and bake at 180 c for 10-15 min. Leave to cool.
- Add icing sugar to a bowl, and add some beaten egg white to it, just bit, by bit, so you shall have the right consistency.
- Mix very well as it tends to get more runny as you stir.
- Decorate as you wish