Banana muffins are another classic that many people enjoy. You can add more nutrients by including raw walnuts or peanut butter.
- 4 bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 36 grams of brown sugar
- 24 grams of white sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 180 grams of white or whole-wheat flour
- 28 grams of butter, melted
HOW TO PREPARE
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas with the egg, vanilla, cinnamon, and brown and white sugar.
- Mix the dry ingredients in another bowl and then add them to the wet mixture. Gently stir in the melted butter.
- Divide the batter into 12 muffin cups and bake at 175°C for 18–25 minutes.
One muffin has 140 calories, 3 grams of total fat, 250 mg of sodium, 25 grams of carbs, 1 gram of FIBRE, 10 grams of sugar, and 3 grams of protein.
- To make vegan. Replace the egg by mixing 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons (20 ml) of water and use a vegan-friendly sweetener like coconut sugar or maple syrup.
- To make paleo. Replace flour with spelt flour or a gluten-free flour blend. In place of 1 teaspoon of baking powder, use a mixture of 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon of cornstarch, and 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar.
- To make gluten-free. Replace wheat flour with a one-to-one gluten-free flour blend, which you can either make at home or purchase pre-made.