Corn muffins don’t have to imitate sweet cornbread drizzled with honey. The following recipe uses actual corn and cornmeal, along with other simple ingredients that result in a healthy snack.
- 120 ml of milk
- 45 grams of applesauce
- 1/2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 167 grams of canned, frozen, or fresh corn
- 90 grams of fine cornmeal
- 60 grams of white or whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
HOW TO PREPARE
- Mix the milk, applesauce, vinegar, and corn. In another bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients. Gently stir together the wet and dry ingredients.
- Divide the batter into 8 muffin cups and bake at 175°C for 17 minutes.
One muffin provides 115 calories, 3 grams of total fat, 160 mg of sodium, 18 grams of carbs, 1 gram of FIBRE, 4 grams of sugar, and 3 grams of protein.
- To make vegan. Choose a plain, unsweetened, nondairy milk like almond, cashew, soy, or hemp and use a vegan-friendly sweetener.
- To make paleo. Use almond flour and full-fat coconut milk. In place of the 2 teaspoons of baking powder, use a mixture of 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch, and 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar.
- To make gluten-free. Replace wheat flour with a one-to-one gluten-free flour blend, which you can either make at home or purchase pre-made.