Oh dear me, I love this one! Usually served in Maltese households after meals, as part of the many layers of desserts we always find the excuse to eat!
- 100g white sugar
- 130g light tahini (sesami paste)
- 6 Tbls. water
- whole roasted almonds
HOW TO PREPARE:
- On a low heat dissolve the sugar in the water in a thick-bottomed pan.
- Stir to dissolve but stop one its starts boiling. Boil until sugar thermometer shows 140 degrees Celsius.
- Meanwhile in a heat proof bowl mix the tahini, vanilla and almonds.
- As soon as the temperature of the sugar and water reaches 140 degrees Celsius, pour this on the tahini mix.
- As you’re doing this stir very well. In a very short while it will harden into a thick confection.
- Transfer to an airtight container and leave to cool.
- Some sesame oil may ooze out of the helwa but this does not impair in any way the marvellous taste.