So let’s be honest, many of us looking outside the window today at this awful weather are already dreaming of sunny days and beaches! And what comes along with that!? For me it’s – I need to start working on my body to look good this summer! Right?! Am sure, many are just like me! So, the rule to start off with is: First detoxify and then lose weight! Here’s how it works!
The right order to lose weight in a stable and lasting way is to first detoxify and then work on the rest. This diet is a weight-loss journey, a monthly journey divided into three phases of ten days each, with a vegetarian approach that also aims to restore the intestine.
It has a specific name: 4 plus 1 – 4 plus 1. These are the lucky numbers of this diet. The method can be followed completely or only for the first ten days, which are the most restrictive ones.
The purifying diet is based on the use of pasta, bread, cereals, legumes, vegetables, fruit and does not include meat and fish. The protein restriction is intended to lighten the work of the organs responsible for digestion (liver and intestine) and to reactivate cellular functions by eliminating these two categories of highly acidic foods. The condition of acidosis prevents the release of substances such as fatty acids. On the contrary, when the extracellular matrix is hydrated through the plants rich in alkalising biological water, the fatty acids and toxins escape from the cells by osmosis, so the adipose cells decrease in size, i.e. they detoxify.
6 MEALS A DAY
The diet includes six meals: breakfast, morning snack, lunch, snack, dinner, after dinner. This rhythm allows blood glucose levels to be maintained within healthy parameters. Numerous hours of continuous fasting, in fact, would cause an excessive lowering of blood sugar, a condition called “hypoglycemia”, responsible for some symptoms such as disorientation, dizziness, anxiety, headache, feeling of fatigue and irritability. While, on the contrary, high blood sugar spikes due to the intake of high amounts of carbohydrates generate residual sugar in the blood which is converted into fat stored in fat cells.
ALKALINE FOODS ACIDIFYING AGENTS
Alkaline foods are vegetables, potatoes and fruit. Among the acidifying foods there are: eggs, aged cheeses (the fresh ones are less acidifying), cereals (the processed flour dough is more acidifying than the whole flour dough), legumes (especially dried), sweeteners and sweetened drinks, coffee, tea, and wine. This does not mean that only alkalising foods should be present in the diet. The ideal ratio is 4 to 1, i.e. 4 alkalising foods on 1 acidifier consumed during the day.
FOODS: THE QUANTITIES
- Fruits and vegetables: 5-6 servings a day between fruit and vegetables. A portion of fruit should have a weight of about 150 grams, which corresponds to a medium-large fruit (whether it is apples, pears, oranges, peaches or the like) or to two or three pieces in the case of mandarins, plums, apricots or other small fruits. For vegetables, the recommended amount is 250 grams.
- Pasta: The reference portion is 80 grams for dry pasta (also for rice) and 120 grams for fresh egg pasta.
- Biscuits: 20 grams a day
- Bread: 50 grams to be divided into two or three servings a day
- Milk and yogurt: both must be taken in quantities of 125 grams once a day.
- Sugar: 5 grams a day, or 3 teaspoons.
- Fish and cheese: four times a week. For the cheese, the recommended portion is 50 grams for the seasoned one and 100 grams for the fresh one.
- Legumes: 3 times a week, instead of pasta.
- Potatoes, salami and meat: 2 times a week. For eggs, if you only eat egg white, you can even get six egg whites a week.
A word of advise: Before taking up any diet make sure to consult with your doctor!