The weaning stage is when one changes a baby’s diet and introduces other forms of food such as purees. To save money, and ensure more natural foods, you can prepare them yourself using fresh products.
So let’s see how to prepare excellent totally organic purees for your baby…
- First of all, prepare the vegetable stock that is the basis of all purees.
- Take a carrot, a potato, a courgette and celery and dip everything in a litre of water, without adding salt. Boil for about an hour, until the water has halved. (After a month, you can also use other vegetables for the broth, introducing them from week to week, such as, artichokes, spinach, chard and everything your pediatrician will recommend.)
- The pureed vegetables are prepared by blending all the vegetables used to prepare the vegetable stock. When smooth, add a little stock. In the end, add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and maybe pasta or weaning creams. If you want to freeze the puree, you can store it in the freezer for about three months. If stored in the refrigerator, consume within 24 hours instead.
- For the pureed meat; whether chicken, beef, turkey or rabbit, choose non-fat parts, without bones and cartilages.
- Cook preferably with steaming because it keeps intact the nutritive properties and softens the meat a lot.
- When cooked, place the pieces of meat (small cut) in the blender, add the vegetables of the broth, about 100ml of vegetable stock and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil; then, blend everything until you get a smooth cream.
- The fish puree follows the same procedure as that of meat.
- The most suitable fish are certainly cod, hake, and sole. You will then add, from month to month, other varieties according to the indications of the pediatrician.
- Clean the fish, steam it and then blend it in the blender with the vegetables that were used to prepare the stock.
- The pureed fruit requires the use of only two fruits, at least at the beginning of weaning, namely the pear and the apple.
- Take the chosen fruit (or both) and after having peeled and removed the core, cut it into small pieces and steam it for about 10 minutes, until it softens.
- Then, blend with a blender. If the pediatrician advises you, you can add milk or rice cream.
STORING PUREED MEAT, VEGETABLES AND FISH
- If you want to freeze the pureed meat, vegetables and fish, pour into vacuum jars.
- In the freezer they last no more than 6 months, in the refrigerator not more than 24 hours.
- Pureed fruit preserved in the fridge must be consumed within 24 hours.
- For freezing, follow the advice of the pediatrician, who will tell you which fruit can be frozen and which is not.