This easy hot or cold grilled eggplant caprese dish becomes the perfect side dish, main dish or appetizer, you decide.
- 5 eggplant 1/4 inch slices (1/2 centimeter) (round eggplant is best to use light purple in color)
- 5 thick slices tomato (not too ripe, must be firm)
- 5 slices fresh mozzarella
- 5-7 leaves fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- pinch or two of salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for drizzling
Place slices of eggplant in a medium bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, let sit 20 minutes then drain but do not rinse.
Using a pan grill or barbecue grill the slices of eggplant until soft.
For hot grilled eggplant, place grilled eggplant slices on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, top with 1 slice of tomato, 1 slice of mozzarella (if you like sprinkle some freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top of the mozzarella) then sprinkle with oregano, salt, fresh chopped basil leaves and drizzle with olive oil.
Place under broiler and broil for a few minutes, just until mozzarella starts to melt, or it will become too watery.
For the cold grilled eggplant the same as the hot except do not broil.
Serve immediately. Enjoy!