How about a spicy Moroccan vegetable stew with eggs poached right unto it? It’s one of the only dishes I can think of that will wow your table any time you serve it: breakfast, brunch, late-night dinner. Its showy presentation never fails to impress.
- Olive oil
- 1 large red onion, minced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper de-seeded (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. garam masala
- 2 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cilantro stalks, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 6 eggs
- Cilantro and feta cheese for garnish
- 1 Tbsp. dried fenugreek leaves (optional)
- Salt to taste
HOW TO PREPARE
- Heat skillet on high. When hot, add oil and allow it to heat. When oil is hot, add onions and sauté until onions are softened. Add garlic and cumin seeds and continue to sauté until onions begin to lightly brown.
- Reduce heat to medium and add jalapeño and dried spices, stirring often until onions are coated. Cook this for about 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, red peppers, and cilantro stalks, stirring occasionally until mixture begins to thicken a bit. Add salt to taste at this point. No stirring after this step.
- Make small indentations in mixture to form a well for your eggs. Crack eggs in a ramekin before adding to pan, then move around the pan and add eggs in a pattern around edges.
- When eggs are in place, cover and allow to poach in mixture. Turn off heat when eggs are nearly at desired doneness, as they will continue to cook in hot mixture. Garnish with feta and chopped cilantro and serve, ideally with crusty bread.