You gotta love Galletti (Maltese traditional water crackers). Lovely with every kind of dip, or cheese. Usually a staple in every Maltese household as a snack or as a pre-meal.
Very easy to buy ready packed but so satisfying to bake your own…. and now we have plenty of time for that, right?
- 15g fresh yeast or the equivalent in easy blend or dried yeast
- 150 – 175 ml warm water
- 200g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 150g semolina
- 25g butter
HOW TO PREPARE
- Cream the yeast in water and sieve the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Add the semolina, rub in the butter and add the yeast and enough water until you have a pliable but rather dry dough. Work a little dough at a time, keeping the rest in a refrigerator to retard the rising.
- Roll out very thinly on a floured board and cut into rounds using a plain 5m cutter, prick each biscuit with a fork and lay on a floured baking sheet, bake at 200c / 400F / gas mark 6 until golden.
- Cool on a wire tray, and when completely cold store in a airtight tin.