A chef with millions of followers on social media has revealed how to make McDonald’s chips at home – and the secret lies in frying them twice.
Mr Nixon showed viewers how to prepare a batch of ‘Maccas’ fries with three potatoes, water and corn syrup, before deep frying them in sizzling canola oil and seasoning with salt, so they never need to queue at the drive-thru again.
He said the secret to the famous flavour and golden colour is frying the chips twice for four minutes.
What you need for DIY McDonald’s chips
- Three large potatoes
- Canola oil
- One tablespoon of corn syrup
- Half a teaspoon of salt
How to prepare
- To start, cut the potatoes into thin strips using a mandolin with a chip slicer attached to the end, or with a sharp knife.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and submerge the chips to remove excess starch, leaving aside for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chips into a bowl of hot water mixed with a tablespoon of corn syrup.
- Whisk the mixture so that the syrup dissolves, then leave the chips to soak for another 10 minutes.The syrup will infuse a mild sweetness and encourage the chips to crisp golden brown when fried.
- Once thoroughly soaked, place the chips on a towel and pat dry, then leave in the fridge for 30 minutes to dry.
- Meanwhile, heat a generous amount of canola oil in a saucepan until sizzling hot, then fry chips twice in two batches for four minutes each.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of salt over the top and serve while the chips are still warm.
Source: Nicko’s kitchen