Do you start feeling itchy all over when you hear the word LICE?! I surely do! I start feeling the creepy crawlies on my head even though I know for sure they are not there!
The problem reoccurs, for many families, every year. A few months after the start of the school year, when lice reappear, up to real epidemics in schools, kindergartens and hildcare centres. Places very frequented by children. But beware: lice, whose eggs have a very resistant shell, have no age preference, and everyone can have them!
To avoid the annoying headache, and the various problems that arise (starting from the lesions of the scalp), it is very important, first of all, to inspect well the suspicious head with good lighting and with a magnifying glass. Knowing that the lice attack, either, hair brown, red or blond.
HOW TO ELIMINATE LICE
A real nightmare for mothers, lice are small white-greyish parasites with which children often come into contact when they start attending school and being with their peers. They are small insects which, in order to survive, need to colonise the scalp where they deposit the eggs called nits.
WHAT ARE THE LICE?
Harmless for health, lice can be particularly annoying: the great itching is due to their sting and not to the dirt. Sometimes we tend to mistakenly believe that at the base of lice there is a lack of hygiene and personal cleanliness, in reality it is not at all like that. Lice love the clean, do not jump and are transmitted for example when children play in close contact or through combs, brushes, scarves and hats.
Once they come into contact with cushions, blankets, caps, towels and clothing, it is good to wash everything at a temperature above 60 degrees.
HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU HAVE LICE?
First of all, the great itch is one of the most obvious signs. The lice live about a month and multiply quickly depositing many eggs (nits), similar to dandruff for coloUr and size, which hatch giving life to the Nymphs, small and reddish, before maturing in the adult form, black, about 2 / 4mm . Lice love living on the back of the head and behind the ears.
NATURAL REMEDIES AGAINST LICE AND NITS
To eliminate lice, there are a lof of products on the market. However we are proposing some natural remedies that will allow you to prevent or eliminate lice from children’s hair.
- Comb hair every day: Buy a fine knit comb and pass it on the children’s head every day. This will serve to see if there are nits (which will remain trapped) and to act in a timely manner. It may be useful to wet the comb in vinegar and pass it through the hair of the children. This operation not only removes the nits but wards off the arrival of new lice.
- Vinegar Lotion: With vinegar you can also prepare a lotion with white wine, in equal parts and then pour the same after washing the hair, on damp hair. Distribute well and then wrap the hair in a plastic bag for about 10 minutes. Finally rinse with water and you’re done.
- Vinegar and mayonnaise: Take a serving of vinegar and two of mayonnaise and mix it in a bowl. Sprinkle the mixture over the hair and scalp and leave for 2 hours. Then rinse with lukewarm water and untangle the hair with the appropriate lice comb. Once a week rinse the hair of children with a glass of vinegar: it is able to disinfect the part of the hair to which the nits are attached.
- Eucalyptus infusion: Even the eucalyptus seems to be inimical to lice. Boil some water and then add some eucalyptus leaves. Leave to infuse for a quarter of an hour and then pour the infusion over the entire length of the crown and on the scalp: the lice will soon be eliminated.
- Garlic infusion: Garlic also has an excellent action against lice and has an antibiotic power. Hang a head of garlic and immerse it in boiling water. Leave for 2 hours, filter the water and then pour the garlic infusion over the head. Cover with a towel and leave for an entire night.
- Rosemary infusion: Rosemary has a really enormous cleaning and strengthening power. With an infusion, prepared with dried leaves of the latter immersed in boiling water, you can thoroughly clean the hair, perhaps using a tight-toothed comb that facilitates the removal of insects and eggs.
- Wash brushes frequently: At least once a week it is necessary to wash all the objects that come into contact with the hair keeping them for a couple of hours immersed in boiling water with a mild detergent.
- Tea tree oil: This essential oil, with an antiseptic action, is able to stifle lice and nits and thus prevent their spread. Another method is then that of mixing a little neutral shampoo, preferably formulated with natural ingredients, with a few drops of an essential oil lice enemy: for example lavender , mint or eucalyptus.
NATURAL LOTION AGAINST LICE
And speaking of essential oils, here’s how to prepare a homemade lotion at home, based on natural ingredients, able to eliminate lice. Let’s see how to proceed together:
- Olive oil
- Tea Tree essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
METHOD (Per 100 gr of lotion)
- Mix together 89 grams of olive oil, 10 grams of tea tree essential oil and 1 gram of lavender essential oil. You can proportionally scale the doses according to need and quantity.
- Apply the lotion on the scalp and massage for about 10 minutes. After this time, cover the head with a plastic cap and let it work for another 10 minutes. Then, with the help of a lice comb, remove the parasites and their eggs.
- At this point, you just have to proceed with the shampoo. Use the product once every seven days, for a period not exceeding three weeks.
HOW TO PREVENT LICE
Lice occur mainly during spring and autumn, and to prevent them from attacking your child’s hair, implement these simple but effective precautions:
- Tell your children to avoid “head-to-head” contact with other children, so as to avoid the spread of the problem.
- You should not share hats, headphones, earphones, combs and anything that can facilitate the passage of these insects. The combs and brushes should be disinfected periodically in hot water and bicarbonate.
- Add Neem oil to your usual shampoo to wash baby hair. Neem oil lowers the ph of the skin and creates an environment inert to lice, also facilitating detachment from the hair.
- In the morning, before they go to school, you can apply essences of thyme and Tea Tree oil , behind the ears and on the nape of the children , which keep these annoying insects away.
Avoid using the lotion in case of disorders or damage to the scalp and to avoid any irritation always ask the opinion of your doctor before proceeding.