Tomorrow is Easter Day and even though in reality we do not have much to celebrate, due to the current Pandemic situation, we still should celebrate… because hey, we are safe at home and still alive!
So we all know that traditionally, Maltese families celebrate with a trifle. And so here is the recipe for you today, hopefully just in time for you to prepare for lunch tomorrow!
- Custard Fruit Gelatin or Fruit juice
- Whipped cream
- Sponge biscuits or fingers
HOW TO PREPARE:
- Place the cake in an even layer at the bottom of a deep perspex bowl, sprinkle or brush with sweet vermouth. The amount of vermouth you put will make a difference as to how strong an alcohol taste in the finished trifle.
- The next layer is made from custard. You can use lemon or chocolate or strawberry custard. Ideally put thin layers of cake between each layer of custard just to make the trifle slightly heavier and keep the different layer more separate. The size of your bowl will determine how thick your layers need to be and how many layers you will have.
- Fresh cream, or whipped cream are normally used to decorate the last layer. You can use ricotta, using a mixture of ricotta, nuts (hazel nuts and almonds- crushed), candied peel ,and candied cherries.
- The assembled Trifle is covered and placed in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours to allow the flavours to mingle.