Golden, caramelised and sticky, these Melting Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes with hints of thyme are a fantastic side dish to serve with your holiday feast!
Are you with me? Because I made roasted sweet potatoes that are a major, permanent, feature of my life and I want to share them with you.
- 2lb / 907 g orange fleshed sweet potatoes , or yams
- ¼ cup / 60 g butter
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
For the candied pecans
- 1 cup / 100 g pecan nuts halves
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 475 °F (246 C).
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into rounds about 1 inch thick.
- Using clean hands, rub the butter generously all over each potato and lay them in a single layer on a rimmed metal baking tray. It must be a metal tray and not glass or ceramic and it needs to have a rim because you will be pouring liquid on later.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the thyme, ¼ teaspoon of the pepper, ½ teaspoon of the cinnamon and a little salt if you are using it (see notes re this). Then flip the potatoes and do the same to the other side of each with the remaining thyme, cinnamon, pepper and salt.
- Put the potatoes in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove. Flip each one over and return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven again and pour over the vegetable stock. Return to the oven and cook until the liquid has just disappeared. It should take around 20 to 25 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, put the pecan nuts in a small non stick pan. Add the coconut sugar, maple syrup and smoked paprika and stir to coat them. Put the pan over a medium heat, and let the nuts cook for about 4 to 5 minutes until bubbly and sticky. Keep them moving frequently. Don’t leave them unattended as they burn easily.
- Turn off the heat and carefully spoon the nuts onto a parchment paper or silicone mat lined plate. Spread them out in a single layer with a spoon and leave to cool. They will get crunchy as they cool down.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the nuts and serve.