Thinly sliced fennel, tossed in a creamy lemon dressing, work to make this crisp and luscious salad a new favorite recipe made with fresh and tasty ingredients. For an added treat, try topping this salad with fish, like wild-caught salmon, to create a satisfying salad meal.
- 3 medium-sized fennel bulbs
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt, fine grained kosher preferred
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, loosely packed
- 1/4 cup chopped fennel fronds, see the video below
- 1 orange, peeled and separated into wedges (sweet Valencia is a good choice, if available)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Clean the fennel by washing the outside of the bulb. Cut off the fronds and save. Shave the fennel with a mandolin or with a knife by cutting closely across the surface. The fennel should be sliced thin. Toss in a bowl with the mint, ¼ cup of the chopped fennel fronds and orange wedges.
- For the dressing, in a small bowl put the Dijon mustard and squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking as you go. Add salt to taste, and continue to whisk until fully combined and creamy.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper to taste.