If you have ever been to Malta, then you know that one of the traditional dishes is fried rabbit in garlic. Well, rabbit is actually a very healthy meat to eat and so we thought about rabbit pie! I mean, we have all the time in the world to bake at the moment don’t we?
You can opt to do your own puff pastry at home, else you can purchase it from the supermarket or grocery next door. As for the rabbit, most butchers sell them.
- 1 rabbit
- 50g tomato paste
- pinch mixed spice
- 200g peas
- 1kg puff pastry
- oilve oil 3 eggs
- water or stock
- 200g onions
- salt and pepper
HOW TO PREPARE
- Cut the rabbit into small pieces and fry on a low heat. Leave to cool.
- Fry the chopped onions till golden, and add all other ingredients except the eggs.
- Simmer, remove all the bones from the rabbit and add to the mixture.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, then remove from the heat and add the eggs. Mix everything well.
- Roll half the pastry and line the greased pie dish.
- Place mixture in dish and cover with the rest of the pastry. Then egg wash and bake in a moderate till top is nice and golden.