The Sun have distributed images of lung scans of a 19 year old who vaped, reporting that these shocking scans show how vaping can block your lungs with solidified oil – after an eighth person died from using e-cigarettes.
Anthony Mayo, 19, was lucky to survive after being struck down with a mystery lung disease that’s plaguing vapers across the US.
The teenager, from Erie, Pennsylvania, became severely ill and unable to breathe on his own, last week.His parents took him to hospital where doctors carried out X-rays and discovered his lungs were filled with “hardened e-liquid oil”.
Dad Kieth Mayo, told Metro US, that the doctors likened it to bacon grease that hardens after it has cooled.
Anthony was warned that at the age of 19, he now as the “lungs of a 70-year-old, two-pack-a-day smoker” and that the damage will likely scar him for life.
The teen took up vaping about two years ago and would use flavoured oils, including blue raspberry, cotton candy and cinnamon toast crunch. He also vaped THC – the psychoactive chemical in cannabis, his dad said.
Anthony first went to hospital on September 8 with a worrying cough, but doctors assumed it was bronchitis and sent him away with antibiotics.
Two days later he started to feel worse and went back to A&E where medics said he may have developed walking pneumonia, which causes the lungs to inflame and fill with liquid. They prescribed him a strong antibiotic and steroid, but his condition continued to worsen.
He spent all of Sunday night coughing so returned to hospital the next morning, where tests showed his oxygen levels were dangerously low – at 37 per cent.
His mum Tanya, who has set up a fundraising page, shared the pictures of his two lung scans – taken a week apart – on her Facebook page as a warning to others.
She wrote: “A warning for those in denial. This is what vaping looks like when your otherwise healthy 19-year-old is admitted into the ICU.
“Left lung about 80 per cent congested and right is about 50 per cent, oxygen level was 37.
“According to the doctor this is showing areas that have essentially solidified like bacon grease.
“The pulmonary doctor said he had seen dead people with a higher oxygen level.”
Anthony was put on oxygen to help him breathe and expel some of the oil.
His dad Kieth said: “They [doctors] heat the oxygen mixture and put a little moisture in it, so it will go in there and liquefy some of that stuff [solidified oil] and encourage him to cough it up.
“The first couple days he has been coughing and it was blood-tinged, now it’s just brown, dark dark green.”
He added: “He is going to have some scarring. Whether it’s profound, we don’t know yet. It’s a wait and see type of thing.”
The family are hopeful that as a young man Anthony, who is being kept in at Millcreek Community Hospital, will be able to make a full recovery.