With so much time on our hands, let’s all get baking! To begin with you need to line greaseproof or baking parchment to a 7″ cake tin or loaf tin.
Grab your ingredients
- 250g unsalted butter, or soft margarine,
- 250g caster sugar,
- five eggs,
- 250g self-raising flour – or gluten free self raising flour.
- The grated zest of one lemon.
- For the delicious drizzle topping, juice about 1 ½ lemons and 85g caster sugar.
- Heat your oven to 180C/fan or 160C/gas 4.
- Beat together the 250g softened unsalted butter or margarine and 250g caster sugar until they resemble a creamy consistency.
- Next, beat the five eggs and slowly sift in your flour, then add the finely grated lemon zest and mix until it’s all well combined. Squeeze a little lemon juice in too.
- Mix for one minute, or until the mixture is well combined. But be careful of over mixing it.
- Spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon. Then bake for 45-50 minutes until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean and dry.
- While the cake is in the oven, mix together the juice of 1 ½ lemons and 85g caster sugar to make the drizzle.
- When the cake is fully baked and cooling, after about 15 minutes, prick the top of your cake with a fork.
- Pour your fresh lemon drizzle over the top and the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a crisp topping.
- When the cake is fully cooked, you can also add some buttercream to the top and sides or add layers in the middle if you like.
Cake can be adapted as a gluten free for all of our celiac friends. Just substitute the 250g flour for 250g gluten free self raising flour.
Make sure your cake is fully cooled before cutting it into layers.