Want a make-ahead breakfast that gives you a head start on getting your veggies for the day? Definitely try this comfort-food breakfast casserole. One batch can fuel your mornings for most of the week.
INGREDIENTS (Makes 10 servings)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp avocado or coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 10 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2-3 tbsp your favorite hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- (optional: ½ cup crumbled goat cheese)
HOW TO PREPARE
- Bake or microwave the sweet potatoes until they’re almost done. Remove and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they start to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and broccoli and cook for another 3-4 minutes before adding the the peppers and mushroom. Cook for 5-6 minutes, adding 1 pinch or two of salt to season. Add in the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Remove the mixture from the heat. Remove the skins from the sweet potatoes and dice them. Set aside.
- Prepare a 9×13 casserole or baking dish by either using a cooking spray or using coconut oil.
- Place the sweet potatoes and veggie mixture into the baking dish.
- Whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, hot sauce and salt pepper. Pour over the veggie/sweet potato mixture. (Optional: sprinkle goat cheese over the top).
- Bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes. Remove the oven and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.