This recipe comes together easily and is both warming and filling!
For the Potatoes
- 4 good sized sweet potatoes
For the Creamed Spinach
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 cup unsweetened, non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- A few hefty turns of black pepper
- 1 5 oz box of baby spinach
HOW TO PREPARE
To Make Potatoes in an Instant Pot:
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water into the inner pot of your Instant Pot (IP) and place the trivet on the bottom.
- Wash your sweet potatoes, leave the skin on (it is the most nutritious part) and make a slit, lengthwise in each one, about 2/3 of the way into the potato (you don’t have to be precise about this, just don’t cut the potatoes totally in half).
- Place them on the trivet and lock the IP lid into place. Use the Manual (or Pressure Cooking) Mode and set the timer for 18 minutes. Use the natural release method when the timer is up.
To Make Potatoes on the Stove Top:
- Wash the sweet potatoes, leave the skin on (it is the most nutritious part) and cut them into quarters. If your sweet potatoes are really big, cut each quarter into half (don’t overthink this – either way works).
- Place the sweet potatoes into a pot and add enough water to cover them by a couple of inches.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat slightly and cover the pot with a lid at an angle.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes, until you can easily pierce the potatoes with a fork, but not until they are falling apart.
To Make Potatoes in an Oven:
- Preheat oven to 400 °F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Wash your sweet potatoes, leave the skin on (it is the most nutritious part) and make a slit, lengthwise in each one, about 2/3 of the way into the potato (you don’t have to be precise about this, just don’t cut the potatoes totally in half). Place them cut-side up on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until tender and the edges are browned and caramelized.
- When your sweet potatoes are cooking, make your creamed spinach.
To Make the Creamed Spinach:
- Place the thawed corn, non-dairy milk, lemon juice, garlic powder and salt into your blender, and blend until completely smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often, until slightly thickened. Add black pepper and spinach and stir until the spinach is wilted. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and wait until your potatoes are ready.
- Place a cooked sweet potato on your plate and cover with Creamed Spinach.