An eleven year old girl, hospitalised for a head injury, suddenly took fire while playing in her hospital room in Oregon.

Little Ireland Lane was painting in her Doernbecher Children’s Hospital room, and a few seconds later she was running terrified in the corridor, engulfed in flames.

engulfed in fire

Probably only the fact that she was already inside a hospital saved her life, thanks to the prompt intervention of the staff: in the accident the child suffered third-degree burns.

Dense mystery about the causes: “I’ve been working in medicine for thirty years, and I’ve never seen anything like it. And I hope I never see it again”, said one of the hospital doctors, Dr. Stacy Nicholson.

Police and firefighters are investigating. Among the hypotheses, an unfortunate combination of disinfectants used to clean the room and static electricity, but the investigators are not sure yet.