They ate a raw marmot kidney: a couple dead of bubonic plague
Two people died of bubonic plague after eating a raw marmot kidney. It happened in Mongolia, where the eating of raw marmot meat is considered a healthy custom.
The victims are Kazakh husband and wife, 38 and 37 years old. The woman was expecting a baby. The news was reported by the Siberian Times, according to which a six-day quarantine was imposed in the region.
The authorities have long been warning the population of a practice that has already caused several casualties in recent years. In fact, raw marmot meat can be a potential vehicle of the plague bacterium. The facts date back to the beginning of May and this week, after no one reported new infections, the quarantine was lifted. However, more than 150 people remain in observation who would have come into contact with the victims.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.