These vegan twice-baked potatoes are heaven. So creamy, flavorful, and comforting––what more could you ask for? Unlike a traditional version, these vegan twice-baked potatoes are flavored with caramelized onions and Hungarian paprika (rather than butter and cheese.) When scooping the inside of the baked potatoes use care and leave enough potatoes behind to ensure that the final product retains its shape.
These vegan twice-baked potatoes are such crowd-pleasers––you have to try them out!
- 4 (14-ounce) Russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 6 tablespoons vegan milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or more vegan milk
- Vegan sour cream, garnish (optional)
- Chives, minced, garnish (optional)
HOW TO PREPARE
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees F. Wash the potatoes and dry them thoroughly. Pierce the potatoes all over with a paring knife. Rub olive oil on the surface of the potatoes and bake them directly on the middle oven rack until tender, about 1 hour.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion, cover the skillet and cook until the onions soften, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, stir and cook, uncovered, until the onions are golden and tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in the garlic and spinach. Cook until the spinach wilts, about 3 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in the paprika and season with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- When the potatoes are baked cut them in half and set them aside until cool enough to handle. When cooled slightly, scoop out the inside of the potato halves and transfer it to a large bowl. Take care to leave enough potato in the skins so that the halves hold their shape.
- Add the milk and olive oil to the potato in the bowl. Mash using a potato masher. Stir in the spinach mixture and season with salt and black pepper.
- Spray the potato halves with oil spray and fill them with the potato mixture. Transfer the potato halves to a baking dish and bake in the preheated 425-degree F oven until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with vegan sour cream and chives, if desired.