A baby died of a crystal meth overdose after her mother allegedly took the drug while breastfeeding. Ashlee Rans, 36, was arrested over the weekend in Plymouth, Indiana after an autopsy determined her two-month-old daughter, Nevaeh Hope Rans-Mason, died of acute methamphetamine intoxication on December 19.

Rans initially called police to her home and reported that her baby died, blaming herself for rolling over the baby while she was asleep. However, investigators found Nevaeh had amphetamine and methamphetamine in her system and determined she suffered a fatal overdose, ruling her death a homicide.

According to the affidavit, Rans only admitted to using marijuana and said she said she was aware she could transfer the drug to her daughter through breastfeeding.

Picture: Obituary/Facebook

After the autopsy was performed, Rans confessed to using meth two days before her daughter died. She has since been charged with two separate counts of neglect of a dependent resulting in death. One of the charges was filed because she originally told police about the death. The second is due to information that investigators later found.

Picture: Marshall County Jail

Marshall County Chief Deputy Prosecutor Tami Napier told The Pilot News that their investigation includes opinions from multiple experts due to the severity of the case. ‘In cases like this it is imperative that due consideration is given to the allegations in the probable cause affidavit following an investigation as the charges are very serious,’ she said. Rans is currently being held at the Marshal County Jail. She faces up to 40 years in prison if convicted on all charges. It is unclear when she is due back in court.

Source: MetroUK